Why Care About Your Online Presence?

A strong online presence is very important for all types of businesses from a simple mobile food truck to a multi-million dollar corporation. These days more and more people rely on the internet to obtain information about the things that they are interested in. For example, I cannot tell you the last time I looked up a phone number in the telephone book, it has been at least five years, but I look up businesses weekly on the internet. I even follow a food truck on Facebook that operates in a city 100 miles away from me because their food looks great and one day fate will have us in the same location so I can eat!


Don't even get me started on internet shopping everything from fast-food to toilet paper and groceries can now be ordered online. If you own a business and you do not have a website and an account with at least one social media platform you are doing your business a great disservice.


Having a personal online presence is a little different. If your profession is based on maintaining your personal public image then you should also care about having an online presence. For example, an attorney, doctor, or realtor may all need to maintain their public online presence, but the secretary for any one of those people probably does not need to go start a website. However, the secretary should be aware that anything inappropriate that she posts through her personal social media accounts directly effects the professional that she works for, and she may be subject to consequences sometimes even termination. Your personal online presence all depends on you.

Comments